In the previous session
you had finished setup the Windows® system sound as sound source for EMX and is able to hear Windows® sound processed by the EMX's Endpoint Mixing® algorithm in real-time.
But what if you also want to hear sound from other sources?
In this setup guide, you will setup EMX to use line-in sound source.
Overview of Line-In Setup
There are two possible configurations for you to choose from:
- Multi-functional PC, i.e. use the PC for multimedia functions and as line-in audio processor simultaneously.
- Use the PC as dedicated line-in audio processor, i.e. convert the PC to an dedicated audio equipment.
If you want to setup the PC as a multi-functional PC and the PC has an Intel i5 or faster CPU, then use Method One
. However if you do not have Intel i5 or faster CPU, then use the line-in port of a second physical sound card with the setup Method One
If you want to setup the PC as a dedicated line-in audio processor and the PC has an Intel i5 or faster CPU, then use Method Two
. However if you do not have Intel i5 or faster CPU and is using an internal (PCI) sound card, then use Method Two
. Otherwise, use the line-in port of a second physical sound card with the setup Method Two
The purpose of second physical sound card is to make sure input and output are seperated on two physical sound cards. If you are using an USB 5.1 sound card as output, then you may add another USB sound card, e.g. Sound Blaster G3, as the second physical sound card. We tested Sound Blaster G3 extensively and liked it. Or you may simply use existing on-board line-in port of the PC.
Method One: Setup to run VAC Audio Repeater
The key benefits of using VAC Audio Repeater is that it can use existing hardware and support audio mixing.
Follow these steps to setup line-in:
- Start "Audio Repeater (MME)" inside the "Virtual Audio Cable" session of Windows® start menu.
- Select line-in device of the existing 5.1 sound card or other available line-in device as input.
- Select "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" as output.
- Change "Total buffer (ms)" from default 500 ms to 100 ms.
- Save config as "ar.cfg".
- Press "Start" button.
You should hear sound from line in sound source immediately.